How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Me and my ex husband spilt up 9 years ago, we have 2 children

This answer was rated:

Me and my ex husband spilt up 9 years ago, we have 2 children together and he saw them for around a year after we split. Since then he's not bothered at all and has never paid any maintenance. Can I apply for sole custody or anything? He has a new wife and has children with her
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and why do you believe you need to do anything
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are 13 and 11, even tho he is absent he still has the same rights as me and I want that to change seeing as he hasn't been around for so long. The children don't want the same surname as him either as I have a partner and 2 children with him and my children who I had with my ex would like to be the same as their siblings
I am sorry but there is nothing that you can do to change the fact that he has Parental responsibility for the children.
Obviously if he disagreed with you on schooling or health issues his lack of involvement over the years makes it unlikely that his views would be preferred over yours so you have relatively little to worry about.
I am afraid that there is no chance of the children changing their names at present - but once they are 16 they can do so themselves if they so wish
I am sorry to give bad news - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I didn't think there was anything I could do, just wanted to double check. It's just sad that someone can wash their hands of their children and get away with it. Thank you for your help though
You are most welcome - I am sorry not to give better news
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you