How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband and i are splitting up after 20 years, Ive not

This answer was rated:

My husband and i are splitting up after 20 years, Ive not work due to bring up the family, we have savings 200K and a property 300K no morgage plus his pension please advise what percentage im entitled to, Kind regards Sharon

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Child 19 and in employment, Ive no income, husband 20 K police pension and working approx income 34K. Ive not worked for 15 years will need to be retrained in office admin work as such alot has changed. we have no debt.


How long was your husband in the police force
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

30 years

Given the length of your relationship the starting point for the division of the capital assets is 50/50.
Since this will give you sufficient to rehouse yourself it is unlikely that the court will move far from that.
You are also entitled to a Pension Sharing Order equal to half of two thirds of the pension
You are also entitled to spouse maintenance - at the very least for the period of the retraining.
You may chose to have a larger lump sum instead
I hope that this guide is of some assistance to you - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you