How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34907
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my wife wishes a divorce but we have our 10 year old grandson

Customer Question

my wife wishes a divorce but we have our 10 year old grandson living with us under a joint SGO would we need to inform children's services and what happens to the child .
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who will the child live with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That hasn't been decided yet, probably me.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
What involvement do the biological parents still have with the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

Some background info . The child in question is my step-daughters son, my wife and I were granted an SGO due to criminal activity, drug abuse, prison term of the mother etc. She has been evicted from several properties and now resides back with her Father, an abusive alcoholic with a criminal record. She sees her son on average once a week now that her boyfriend is back in Prison, prior to this contact was erratic.

The child rarely sees his Father I believe last contact was June. He has consistently expressed a desire to have no contact with him.

Please let me know if you need more information.


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The child is a child of the family and will be treated within the Divorce proceedings just as a biological child would be.
You and your wife are expected to reach an agreement on the arrangements for the child and how he should share his time between you using family mediation if need be
Only if serious problems arise will Social Services have to be involved again.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details