How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I want my baby to have fathers surname

This answer was rated:

My boyfriend is in prison and I have just had a baby, we both want him to have the fathers surname. Can I do this.  I am in England.

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long will your boyfriend be in prison?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is on remand at present at his case goes to court in April.

You can give the baby any name that you wish - including a last name.
What you cannot do is Register your boyfriend as the father without him being present.
I hope that this is of assistance to you - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you