How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my childs father has never paid child support for my 15 year

Customer Question

my childs father has never paid child support for my 15 year old son- the child support agency have been useless in doing anything about it and have basically ignored me . Can I sue him for child support and would it be worth my while ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What happened when you made the actual application to the CSA?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have applied many times to csa - firstly they couldnt locate him, then they just let it lapse and the next time I contacted them was a few years later and they said that the case had been closed and that I was supposed to contact them if I wanted to re-open it- which obviously I did want. Cant think why they would think that I wouldnt. Then a few years later I contacted them again as still had no joy- then a few months later I recieved a letter saying that he did not have to pay anything but they couldnt tell me why. I recently found out where he was living (Glasgow) and that he was self employed working as a chef- I gave them his address plus a new name that he is using but they still didnt get back to me. More recently I rang them to ask if they had done anything yet and was told that unless I could tell them exactly where he was working they couldnt do anything.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Just to check - are you also in Scotland?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No- I am in England .

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid that the CMS ( the new name for the CSA) is your only option.
However it is not the case that you must tell them where he is - they are expected to make enquiries of HMRC and trace him.
Do not deal with them on the telephone - always deal in writing.
Write now and ask then to conduct a new assessment and to account for the delay.
If you do not receive a reply then make a formal complaint - in writing - and escalate the complaints procedure
You should also ask for a full copy of your file using the Freedom of Information Act (it cost £10) and you should also prepare a file for your local MP and seek his or her help.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details