How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My husband left me 18 months ago for another woman. I am petitioning

This answer was rated:

My husband left me 18 months ago for another woman. I am petitioning for divorce. I have had to have a bailiff serve the papers as he refused acknowledgment of receiving them in April when sent to his (then) address. He has now signed them saying he will not defend the case, but does not admit to adultery (the grounds in the petition). What do I do?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What evidence do you have of the Adultery?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband left me and moved in to cohabit with a woman whom his workmates told me he was physically intimate with at work. I challenged him about this by text and have his text responses in which he admitted that he was having sex with her. All of his family (parents, siblings, children and cousins) and his workmates are all of the opinion that he is in an intimate relationship with her and they are still living together as husband and wife.

If this is not enough to establish adultery, would I be better simply reducing the issue to unreasonable conduct and what would this mean in terms of the petition already before the court?

Proving adultery is not easy so frankly yes it will be easier to apply to the Court for permission to amend the petition to one based on Unreasonable Behaviour which is much easier to prove - and all you will actually have to do is prove that he has seen it.
You need to get a copy of the petition and make the amendments - cross out what you are changing using a red pen and underline the new additions is red.
It should be re dated and re signed and these should also be underlined
You need to apply for permission to amend on this form
and attach the amended petition.
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has said on the acknowledgement of service which he signed for the bailiff, that he does not intend to defend the divorce, but his partner has noted on the form in her handwriting that they do not admit to adultery. How do I stand ?

If he does not admit the adultery on the Acknowledgement of Service then you cannot go ahead on that ground.
You can however write to him and say that if he does admit the Adultery you will not claim costs - but if you have to amend the Petition then you will
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does it make any difference that the comment on not admitting adultery is in his partner's handwriting, rather than his?

No not at all
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you