How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35057
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Do I have a right to see reports written by social services

This answer was rated:

Do I have a right to see reports written by social services concerning my son before he turned 16? He left home following an argument in March (when he was 15). As he was considered vulnerable and refusing to come home SS suggested to me to have him placed in care under Section 20. I agreed. However he turned 16 at the end of May and placed himself under Section 20 on June 20th. I want to see the reports made between March and June and have made numerous requests but still haven’t seen anything in writing from this period of time.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Just to check - are you Mum or dad.
If you are dad do you have Parental Responsibility for the child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare.

Thank you for getting back to me. I am mum (I was never married to my son's father). I have been assured by the Social Worker that I still have parental responsibility but that's the bit I don't get. I recently had to sign some forms for my son to start his college course. Amongst them was one saying I would be responsible for his behaviour when he was out on college trips. I questioned this too with the SW, how can I be responsible when I don't even know where he is!


You are fully entitled to see the reports as you have Parental Responsibility for the child.
You shoudl make a formal complaint about the fact that you have not been given the opportunity to read them.
You can get support from the group here
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. Is this the case even though he has now turned 16?


Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.