How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I want to separate from my partner. We have children aged 12

Customer Question

I want to separate from my partner. We have children aged 12 and 14 and we are joint owners of our home. He works 45 miles away and we are very settled in the town where we live. The upheaval of a move would impact on my son's GCSE's even more than just coping with the split. My partner is not violent or abusive I just don't want to be wit him. I have asked him to move out, he refuses and says that I must find somewhere and when I am secure I can get the children which is obviously not acceptable. He is refusing to give any child support (he contributes nothing but the mortgage interest now and has crippling debts). I can afford to move out but to a smaller house. He can't but I am willing to pay his deposit to get rid of him. What legal rights do I have to get him to leave the family home so that we can get on with our lives.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What income do you each have?
How much does a cheaper three bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy?