How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34907
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my husband does not want any rights or parental responsibility

Customer Question

my husband does not want any rights or parental responsibility for our unborn son. Is there a document he can sign, handing all parental rights over to me (the mother)?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Your only option is to not name him on the birth certificate.
If your ex changes his mind at any point he will in fact be entitled to apply to have his name added since you were married at the time of conception, however as things stand this is the only action that can be taken to minimise his Parental Rights
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details