How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Your Own Question
Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3840
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. is online now

I have paid a deposit for some building work to be done on

Customer Question

I have paid a deposit for some building work to be done on my house . I now find I don't want the work done because I might potentially be moving . Do I have to lose oit all or can I expect to get some of it back given that the deposit was £1000
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Unless you were told in advance that the deposit was non refundable then you are entitled to the return of the whole deposit.
The builder may possibly be entitled to deduct money for any materials he might have purchased in advance.
If the builder does not return the deposit then you should make a complaint to Trading Standards
I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards