How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My son is being messed around with having access to his young

This answer was rated:

My son is being messed around with having access to his young son after the relationship broke down, he is willing to have and see his son at any time but she keeps changing her mind as if to deliberately mess up any plans he may have made such as agreeing to overtime or maybe a night out, and then gets nasty saying that he obviously doesn't care about the child if he would rather do overtime and this was because he said he would have to bring his child home a hour earlier than planned on one occasion. so she stopped him having his son altogether, this is really getting him down as he loves his little boy so much and said he would have full custody if he could, he is named on the birth certificate which we took to mean that he had as much say over his son as she has, she already has two other children both with different fathers and denies those fathers access as well,
What can he do, he works full time but can't afford solicitors fees ,
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what is the actual pattern of contact
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
His son is just coming up to 14 months old , he has managed to have his son on the last few Saturday's but he does go to the house a few nights a week to see him before bed,
She keeps changing her mind on when he can have his son with him, so he can't make any plans properly , I think it's some sort of power game she is using aganist him, he just wants proper access not just when it suits her.
So far he just agrees to everything she says, otherwise she just says he can't have him at all and that she will go to court and stop him all together.
She has 2 other sons from different relationships and she has stopped the fathers seeing them and we don't want her to be able to do it again
How long have they been separated?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's been a on and off relationship since she became pregnant, my son has his own flat , so having his son there is no problem , but it has become final in the last couple of months , my son has tried to keep it all going but she is really not interested
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary
Equally it is important for the child that the contact is on a regular pattern
He should try and discuss this with her using Family mediation
But if that fails then he will need to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order setting out what time the child will spend with him
You can read more here
Legal Aid is no longer available in such cases AND in any event the court will not stop the contact
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you