How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35051
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

If I leave my partner I understand that I would have to live

This answer was rated:

If I leave my partner I understand that I would have to live on benefits and that we would share custody of our children - however I have a question regarding maintenance. Would he be pursued for money from the child support agency due to my being in receipt of benefits?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children?
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Why are you the one moving out?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry but I don't understand why the questions you have asked are relevant. I am not happy with this response.

I am sorry - i was hoping to give you a more detailed overview of your potential position.
However if you do not wish to know any more then I can say that he will only have pay child maintenance if you have the children more than 50% of the nights of the year - and you actively seek maintenance - the DWP will not be interested.
However you may not be entitled to Housing Benefit if you are a joint owner of the property.
If you need further information please ask
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you