How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kasare Your Own Question
Kasare, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1301
Experience:  Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Kasare is online now

My husband has recently died. He was in the middle of claiming

This answer was rated:

My husband has recently died. He was in the middle of claiming PPI monies from our joint mortgage with the Halifax. They have happily paid my half of the claim but say they require either details of his will,probate or letter of administration. He left no will and had no estate to go through probate. What is a letter of administration and how do I go about getting one?
Hi thank you for your question I will assist you with this.
Is the value of the PPI rebate more than £5,000?
If it is then obtaining probate will cost you £215 (the fee). If below £5000 then it is free.
As there is no will, you will need to apply for a grant of representation. You can do this yourself or use a solicitor. It is a relatively simple procedure.
The steps to follow are:
1. Complete a probate application form.
2. Complete an Inheritance Tax form.
3. Send your application - this is the application form, the inheritance tax form and an official copy of the death certificate - and the fee if the estate (PPI) is more than £5,000.
4. Swear an oath (this is sent to you by the Registry) - they will send you details of what and where to do this. You can take it to a solicitor who acts as a commissioner of oaths (there is usually a fee - between £5 and £10 although this may vary) and then within 10 days of returning the signed oath you should get the grant of probate.
Once you have this, you can send a copy to the bank.
For ease please see this link which will take you to the Court Form page specifically the Probate form to complete and the guidance notes to complete the form:
I hope this assists. If you need anything else, please ask.
Kasare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you