How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I married in 1993 and left my husband in October 2005, I then

This answer was rated:

I married in 1993 and left my husband in October 2005, I then moved back for 18 months in April 2006 (he was diagnosed with cancer) I then left again in October 2007, each time our children lived with me in a rented property. In August 2013 I was broken into and the children did not feel safe, I could not find a house to move to in school catchment so moved back in with my estranged husband in October 2013. At the beginning of May 2014 we decided to try again but I soon realised this was a wrong decision (end of July 2014) I finally found a suitable house and moved out at the end of August. Can I divorce him having been separated for 5 years or do I have to wait 2 years unless I have other grounds? Thank you
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
When you moved back in did you live entirely separately - no joint washing/cooking/shopping/cleaning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. We did washing, cooking jointly and shopping/finances were split 50/50
Then I am afraid that you cannot issue a Petition based on the fact that you lived apart for five years so you will need to use one of the other grounds.
I am sorry to give bad news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying. I feel things will get messy now! Kind regards R
You are welcome - I hope things go better than you fear