How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34906
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have been married for only a year , the marriage has broken

This answer was rated:

I have been married for only a year , the marriage has broken down, I have invested a lot of time and money on the house which is in my wifes name, am I entitled to recompense.
I have already sent off an application for a Marital home rights order,
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you actually lived together?
How much is the house worth and how much have you invested in it.
What other assets are there and what income do you each have
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare

I have lived in house for 18 months it is valued at 180,000. i have carried out work to the value of 12,000. I have officially paid half mortgage and household bills since we married 12 months ago, work was being carried out in order to increase its value so it could be re mortgaged in order to satisfy my wifes debts. we both earn under 20,000

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lived together for 18 months, married for 12. house is worth 180,000, i have invested approx 12,000 . half in materials half in labour.

no other assets apart from a few bits of furniture and a car ,on finance, which she uses and I pay for. Finance on car is in joint names.

the idea of me doing work on house was so that we could add value and then re mortgage to satisfy her debts, She has 50,000 of equity in the house and 45,000 of debts. re-mortgaging without adding value would not be possible. I have paid half the mortgage and half all household bills for last 12 months and recently booked holiday for us and her son which i will loose deposit on. All i want is some of my own money back

How much is outstanding on the mortgage
How much has the work you funded increased the value of the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

135,000 outstanding. my work , when project is finished will have increased value by at least 15,000

Are you intending to issue divorce proceedings
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I am and have applied for marital home rights order. I will only be wanting back money I have spent on double glazing and materials, new boiler etc.

have you actually issued the divorce proceedings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Clare,

I havn't issued divorce proceedings as yet, I've put myself into as much debt as I can handle over the last year and I am reluctant to engage a solicitor at this point,

You have protected your position with the Matrimonial Home Rights notice
Within the financial side of the divorce proceedings you can make a claim on the property
The short length of the marriage means that it is unlikely that you will recover more than the money that you spent on the property - or the amount by which it increased the value of her property
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you