How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34897
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

A Court Order in December 2003 stated that among other things

This answer was rated:

A Court Order in December 2003 stated that among other things I should pay maintenance at a fixed sum until the youngest of my children ceased full time tertiary education.
I'm OK with that but according to his mother he has had to resit A Levels when I paid for him whilst he was not in education, and when at Uni he has had to have a year out to resit exams and this year I have been told that he failed his 2nd year exams again and have not been told by his mother whether he passed resits or has to take a year out. I have asked the University what is happening and they have said that they cannot tell me due to the Data Protectment Act. I asked his mother for details but this has not been forthcoming.
How can I find out his situation regarding University?
Thank you
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Just to check - you know which university your son is at and you have written to him there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is or was supposedly at Exeter University but I have no address for him there.

I have asked my ex wife for an address and email address but have had no reply.

There are two ways forward.
The most cost and time efficient one is to ask an Enquiry Agent (private detective) to trace the current address of your son - and to clarify whether or not he is still at University
This is likely to cost no more than £200 - possibly less.
(a search of social media may also assist)
The alternative is to apply to the court to vary the order so that payment is made direct to your son - and he is required to report each June on his results.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you