How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34910
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have not lived with my husband for the past 6/7 years. He

Customer Question

I have not lived with my husband for the past 6/7 years. He is living in our jointly owned house. The house is paid for so there is no mortgage involves. Can I as joint owner have a rent agreement drawn up? He does not pay any money to me at all. THANK YOU
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does your husband wish to pay you a sum of money in exchange for living there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clair, No my husband refuses to pay me any money for his accommodation. So could I have a rental agreement drawn up for my half of the jointly owned home. By the way I am in possession of the Land Registry deeds. To the property.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
No i am afraid that there is no basis on which you can make him pay rent for the property - nor can you rent the property to anyone else without his agreement
The only way to resolve this if the pair of you cannot agree is via divorce proceedings
I am sorry - I know this is not good news - please ask if you need further details