How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I live with my wife, boy who is 4 years old & my parents. I

This answer was rated:

I live with my wife, boy who is 4 years old & my parents. I work full time, she works 3 days a week as a teacher. I drop my son off to Nursery 3 days a week, & my parents pick him up as my wife is busy at work. He is stable in this environment & we need to start applying for schools very soon, as he starts Sep 15. We live in East London, & my wife is originally from the midlands. Can she just take him to her parents & I only see him at the weekends? I feel this is not fair & destabilising for my son. In the short term, if she moves in with her Aunt locally, can she stop me or my parents from seeing him? Please advise.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What makes you fear that this will happen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because we may separate & her family are based 120 miles away. And she has threatened to do that. So, therefore what are my rights & what chances do I have for joint custody & that she stays local.

Your child is entitled to regular contact with both parents - and the courts will enforce this if necessaryIn the event that you separate you and your ex are expected to try and resolve matters yourself and agree how your child will share his time between you using Family mediation if necessary
You can read more here
If you cannot agree then a court application will have to be made and the court will have to decide the matter - something to avoid at all costs
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you