How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I have decided to separate. We are both on second

This answer was rated:

My wife and I have decided to separate. We are both on second marriages and no children. We have been married for 3 years and currently live and work in Malaysia.
We were married in Dubai where we lived and work.
We are both born and bred UK citizens.
We have $75k in a joint account as our assets gained since we married. 95% of that is from my earnings. She wants all of the money as I am at fault for the marriage breakdown.
All assets we each had pre-marriage are not in dispute.
What is a fair split?
Should I ask for a signed separation document once a % has been agreed so there is no come back after amount settled? I understand that a divorce can take possibly two years after legal separation and I do not want any post split earnings taken into consideration thereafter.
I intend to stay living and working overseas whereas my wife will probably return to UK.
Final question-will UK law actually cover us as we were married in Dubai?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where will the divorce take place?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To be decided.

I guess she will be in UK and file accordingly,

If she issues in the Uk then she can use the Unreasonable Behaviour ground and the divorce can happen without any delay
In the Uk the grounds for the divorce do not effect the settlement and the starting point for the division of the marital assets is 50/50
Given the short nature of the relationship you could claim a larger share - but 50/50 would certainly be your worst case scenario
A signed separation Agreement would indeed be sensible
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you -very helpful reply

You are most welcome - I hope all goes well
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could you send a template for separation agreement please?

You can find a number online including this one|50684751503&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1eyiBRC-qI2VzKf0vaUBEiQAUiZ3xKA125YJiICCZ4oc7mEy4MUC3Dj6clg0XH-3L6NW9WcaAl598P8HAQ
However please be aware than unless you both have separate legal advice it will not necessarily be binding on the court
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

Enjoy your day and weekend ahead

Thank you -