I am on benefits, my husband works, we have no children , we

Customer Question

I am on benefits, my husband works, we have no children , we separated in october 2013, i wish to divorce, do i qualify for legal aid and am i entitled to spouse maintenance and a percent of his pension?
Stacey hackett
How long have you lived together and how much does your husband earn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, clare,
We married on the 19th october 2012 and separated on the 23rd october 2013, we lived together in total 2 years, he earns £16,000 pa.. He is in receipt of a pension of £150 pm from a previous employer.
I hope this is the information you needed.
What benefits do you receive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Housing benefit, council tax, income support, carers allowance.

Unfortunately Legal Aid is no longer available for divorce although you ARE eligible for Fee Remission and you will not have to pay the court fees.
You have a potential claim for spouse maintenance - however his income is not large and your relationship was short making it unlikely that you will receive any.
Equally you have a claim on half of two years worth of his pension.
It is more likely that you would get a small lump sum - in the region of £1000 in full and final settlement
I hope that this is of assistance
Please ask if you need further details