How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I have been separated since January but gave

Customer Question

My wife and I have been separated since January but gave birth to our beautiful daughter on the 31st of July, she has chosen her name and registered her birth all without me or with no consideration about me. She asked me if she could take our daughter to Canada to see her father our baby's grandfather and said it would be for two weeks, so I agreed. Then eight days before they were due to fly my wife told me they were going for four weeks which obviously I was extremely upset about but felt there was nothing now that I could do. I have started to pay maintenance so that's in place now but my wife will only let me see millie (my daughter) for three hours a week, only an hour at a time and with her friend their to supervise. I can not take her away or out of the house for that hour introduce her to any of my friends or to see her family (anything basically) I have to stay in her house. What am I entitled to and how do I go about spending more time with my daughter and making decisions like my wife does? Or am I just a door mat because of my sex? Any help wouldesk be much appreciated Kind regards ***** *****

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is your name on the birth certificate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes my name is ***** ***** birth certificate


Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The law says that a child is entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
When your daughter was new born an hour three times a week was not unreasonable, but it should be expanding as she gets older - and should be taking place away from your ex and her family and friends.
As a starting point you could move to a local Contact Centre
You should arrange an appointment with Family mediation
If she refuses to attend, or it breaks down, then you will have no choice but to apply to the court for a Child Arrangement Order
You can read more on these sites
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details