How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35039
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi I am about to relocate to qatar in the Middle East and

This answer was rated:

I am about to relocate to qatar in the Middle East and 4 years ago went through a bitter divorce with my ex wife. Since finding out about my relocation she has taken to me court which I only found out about with 2 days notice to attend, I couldn't do so therefore was absent from court. The hearing was today and I have just received a copy of the order which has a number of orders against me in respect of a number of issues including paying her fees. I don't have any funds to do this, where do I stand legally if I don't comply as i am leaving the uk?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What was the case actually about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Clare
My ex wife sought power of attorney over a Spanish property and a fixed sum of child maintenance as I will no longer be under CSA jurisdiction. The divorce 4 years ago granted her a nominal spousal payment of 1p that could be adjusted at any time. She is now seeking my employment terms to up the sum.
In addition the court order has granted her Costs. I have to pay £2.7k.
In summary I need help with the following:
1. I don't have any money with to pay her fees, the divorce left me with £30k debt which I have consolidated and am paying for 6 years....where do j stand legally on this? I have no assets apart from the Spanish villa.
2. Do I have to pay a spousal sum or a child maintenance sum once I have left the uk? I want to support my children however the sum the court has agreed is in excess of what it should be and doesn't take into account any travel expenses. If I don't pay where do I stand legally? Does it mean I could never return to the uk?
I was absent from the hearing so fear I have been turned over.
I would very much appreciate your help
Many thanks
Why were you not able to attend court?
What interest did she have in the spanish Property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Im in my last week at work and was given 2 days notice of the hearing and was unable to get the time off. I sent a letter to the court to explain.

The proerty is owned jointly.

My main issue and what I need the answer to is what is my legal position if i cannot financially comply with the court order when in Qatar

many thanks


What assets do you have in the Uk?
Will you intend to return here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

I have no assets and no intention to return to the UK



If you do not make the payments then it is likely that your share of the Spanish property will eventually be lost to the combined debt of the costs and the unpaid maintenance
You will also be at risk if you return to live in any country where there are reciprocal enforcement arrangements with the Uk
This would include the EU; Commonwealth Countries and the USA.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you