How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35069
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

what is the best way to give my current partner legal rights

This answer was rated:

what is the best way to give my current partner legal rights to a child I had in a previous marriage but which we are raising together so that we can avoid for example last week he took him doctors for his flu jab but they had to ring me for consent we signed forms at nursery so that he can do things but is there something that we can do to make the day to day parenting decisions joint and less complicated and to allow him to feel as though he is a parent in a legal sense to a child he puts everything to raising? is there legal adoption or guardianship etc. and would that be helpful? thanks
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old is the child and what is the position of the biological father?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he is 4

the biological father has no interest, pays no money and I have full custody

Are you still in touch with him - will he co-operate with any action that you take?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

rarely I'm honestly not sure sometimes he's co operative sometimes he's not there's not really any telling which might be sorry that's maybe not that helpful.

Would he agree to an Adoption?
Are you and your partner married?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't honestlyknow it just depends what mood hes in at the timemy partner and I live together and we are engaged


Once you are married then you can ask your ex if he will co-operate and sign a Step Parental Responsibility Agreement
If he will not agree then you can apply to the court for a Step Parental Responsibility Order
This is only available if you are married.
The alternatives are to apply for a Child Arrangement Order stating that the child lives with you and your partner.
You would first have to attend Mediation
The Order can either be made by consent if your ex agrees - of imposed by the court if not.
You do not need to be married for this.
Finally you can consider Adoption - which will make the child legally your partners - but if your ex does not agree it will be almost impossible to achieve
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you