How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35042
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

In response to questions about his form e my ex disclosed that

This answer was rated:

In response to questions about his form e my ex disclosed that he is renting two properties. One a room in the city in which he works and the other a cottage in the country where he goes at weekends with his new partner. He has not contributed to our family home in the way of mortgage or the upkeep for the last 10 months although all his personal effects and office papers are still here. I think this demonstrates that he has ample income to give me maintenance. During our 32 year marriage we enjoyed a good standard of living. We both work although he earns at least 27k per annum more than me. Is this relevant to our negotiations going forward?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What income do you each actually have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I earn nearly £50k while my ex earns £77k

Then I am sorry but since there are no minor children involved spouse maintenance is not likely to be seen as being a reasonable requirement.
The difference in your incomes is simply not sufficient to trigger it
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you