How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hello Me and my partner are about to move into a property. I

This answer was rated:

Hello Me and my partner are about to move into a property.
I am the sole owner of the property and will continue to be the sole contributor to the mortgae payments.
Money raised for the deposit came from myself and a gift from my parents. This is all declared in the property solicitors documents.
My partner has expressed an interest in contributing towards bills and having them in a joint name, being payed out of a specific joint account.
My partner would also like to use the property as a registered address.
In the event of a separation outside of marriage would I be vulnerable to a possible loss of share in the house or finance involved with the property.
Any help appreciated
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
My answer assumes that you are unmarried, have no children, the house is registered in your name only and that she did not contribute any monies to the initial purchase of the property.
The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Provided she does not contribute more money in payment for food/rent than she would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation for rent/bills/food AND does not carry out improvements to the property then she would not be advised to make a claim against your property.
This would only change if you get married or have children
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you