How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Very briefly. I am male 72 years old been married to a

This answer was rated:

Very briefly. I am male 72 years old been married to a Chinese for 10 years. I am on pension credit she has self employed earned literally thousands of pounds mostly sent to China, most with tax avoidence. SEPT 3 rd she came home & started to clear the house with I stopped. She then returned on 3 sep occaisions with friend to collect her belongings plus 3 further times with police, no obstruction took place.The shock of all this made me ill the doctor prescibed various pills. I couldnt cope. Solicitors letters came,several incl. devorce papers etc. A very short time I did NOT open then because I couldnt cope. Yesterday I took them to a legal advisor. The reply was wife wants a divorce & what she wants & I to pay half the costs. This is making me more ill. Question is if I got a letter from my doctor could this put matters on hold for couple months while I can better cope. many thanks Keith Sinclair Spalding. During the marraige she has never paid ANYTHING towards household costs even though she has a workroom (seamstress) in the house where she has earned many thousands. I recently found several bank statements & transactions money to China in her maden name bank acc. I even had to repay £4000 back to the social sec pension credit because she was working whikle she hid away thousands. But advice I got was this is a seperate matter & I would have to pay to take it to court

Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
May I ask why you wish to delay the divorce?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There was no prior warning it was to happen. mattersshould be left for a few months between couples for a calming period, but matters are pushed through by solicitors. Why the urgency ? Also I have in mind she may want to marry some other poor old sod before he dies to get his money. She has turned out to be money crazed person. So its time she was stopped getting everything she wants on tap. At the start I kitted out with all special eqip and machines in a large room, from this she has earned tens of thousands of pounds & never paid £1 to her keep or expenses elec. tel. etc. I have found most of her bank statements plus her first bank acc in her maiden name wherby I would estimate she has sent £100k to china. And yet after an investigation into my pension credit i have to repay £4000 back. So I asked her to help me by paying £100 a month , for the first 4 months she gave nothing, then for 2 months she gave me £50 then the 3rd month she came home & cleared he belongings.She then came 3 sep times with police , she needs mental help i need more space

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

cont. she self employed & works for 2 dry cleaners, 2 dress shops & much private work, she only declares to her accountant work from one shop using one bank acc. a dry cleaners has admitted that he alone has paid her up to £400 a week in cash. Her annual returns show one shop with profits 6 to 8 thousand. I cannot make any claim against this because I cannot afford to pay the legal & court fees, even in her devorce she has stated that I pay half her fees !. To sum up she has virtually ruined 10 years of my life, ruined me financially & ruined my health. plus the police have been involved for her past violence & asked me to to action as being abused, 6 witnesses were involved. so i want to make everything very difficult for her. thats why i needed to know if doctors letter would put matters on hold. many thanks for your help

Sadly the simple answer is no it will not stop the divorce process although it may delay dealing with the financial matters.
However distasteful it is your best option is to agree to a divorce provided she withdraws her claim for costs.
If you are able then it would be wise to start the financial negotiations sooner rather than later.
You have a clear claim on assets she may have abroad - and the £4,000 debt will also come into the negotiations.
However if you do not feel able to deal with the finances a letter from your doctor could indeed delay things.
I am sorry not to give you better news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Clare many thanks for your guidence very much appreciated. I did take the unopened soicitors letters etc to a legal person (not solicitor) & I should have singned & returned them. I was told that they will now be served on me at a further cost of £100. I was also led to understand that once the devorse was granted i could not make any financial claim without large costs to court. just as a matter of interest what if I did nothing , not sign the papers once been served, just left it ? or if I signed then could not pay the costs ? could i then go to C.A.B. & they set a very low monthly payment ? As i am sure you understand I am so hurt by it if all else fails i will report her to inland rev for investigation tax evasion

If you did nothing then the Divorce would go ahead; costs will be awarded against you and these can be enforced against your house an assets - I am afraid there is no question of a low monthly payment.
IF you act now you may be able to avoid a costs order
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Many thanks for your help withe guidence.

Please confirm .

That I now leave you feedback.

That I do now pay a one off payment £38 as detailed in the website.

That it is possible to contact you again with breif question if necessary

many thanks keith

You are most welcome and you can indeed contact me again at any time