How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35058
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have recieved a Draft Divorce Petition on the grounds of

Customer Question

I have recieved a Draft Divorce Petition on the grounds of “unreasonable behaviour” -
I apply for a
x divorce on the ground that the marriage has broken down irretrievably,
x The Respondent has behaved in such a way that the Petitioner cannot reasonably be expected to live with the Respondent
I have till the 4th of december to respond or else they will file it.
1) if i don't do anything, will the divorce take place?
2)What are the repercussions/implications for me, if I agree to divorce on the grounds of “unreasonable behaviour”? would it make it harder for me to have full custody or 50/50 custody of my children? would it make it easier for her to have a bigger financial settlement? As far as I am concerned she is the one with the unreasonable behaviour.
3)Is the petition/divorce information freely available? can individuals such as my sons or organisations access this?
Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do any of the allegations involve violence or neglect of the needs of the children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for that
In answer yo your questions
1. Yes - if the Petition is issued and is eventually served on you in person and you simply ignore it then the divorce will go ahead and a costs order will be made against you
2. No it will make no difference to the children or financial issues
3. No the only people who will see it are the courts and whoever you and your ex show it to
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details