How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have separated from my partner (3 children aged 14, 3,2)

Customer Question

I have separated from my partner (3 children aged 14, 3,2) charity told me I wont get income support as my name is ***** ***** BTL property 50/50. My ex has always had the rent payments directly to his bank account, now tenant currently defaulting on payments. Estimated equity is £60,000. I don't think he will agree to sell, and says he cant buy me out. How long would it take/cost to release the equity to me? As I now live in a property he solely owns and he could ask me to leave. I want to rent somewhere else, but as equity stands not entitled to income support/housing benefit. I have no income as lost my job due to ill health, am worried about him making me leave, and the time and expense to release the equity.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much are the two properties worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgages?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I requested an urgent answer, with limited detail, so am am not happy to pay requested fee.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would be happy to provide more information and have advice, but based on expected service am not happy to proceed without clear guidelines regarding time frames and costs. Your website is misleading. Advertising that an adviser is online to answer questions implies an immediate response. I thank you for your assistance. Can you respond to my concerns about your service?

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
My apologies.
On this site we are all working lawyers which means that we can only pick up questions when we are able to get online
I cannot give you the answer to your question without the extra details - it is all included in the proce you have already agreed