How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKfamsol Your Own Question
UKfamsol, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 560
Experience:  Very experienced specialist family law solicitor, qualifed in 1994
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
UKfamsol is online now

As a grandparent, can my dauglhter stop me from seeing my

Customer Question

As a grandparent, can my dauglhter stop me from seeing my grandchildren
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

I am sorry to have to tell you that grandparents have no automatic rights to see their grandchildren.

You can can ask the court to decide whether or not you should be alllowed to see your grandchildren, and exactly what sort of arrangement that should be ie how often, for how long each time, whether with or without anyone else being present, whether face-to-face or over the telephone etc.

Your application would be for a child arrangements order in form C100.You would need to ask the court for leave in form C2 to make your application, which would be granted if you convinced the court that you had a connection with the children, and that your application would not cause the children significant disruption.

The court would decide your application for a child arrangements order on the basis of what was best for the children, rather than who (you or your daughter) shouted loudest. However, it is very difficult for a grandparent to persuade a court that he/she should have contact with a grandchild if the natural parent is strongly opposed - because the child lives with the parent, and if the parent is distressed or angry, then that affects the child.

Unfortunately there is no longer any legal aid to cover this type of application to court.

However, you may have more success if you take a softly softly approach. The first step is to try mediation - especially as the family court now requires the parties to have attempted mediation before it will consider an application to court.

Here's where to find a local family law mediator:

I think you may benefit from some face-to-face legal advice. Here's where to find a specialist family law solicitor:

I know this was not what you wanted to hear, but it would be wrong of me to give you faIse hope or be anything other honest about what the legal position is.

tI hope this helps anyway and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks and best wishes...
Expert:  UKfamsol replied 3 years ago.
Hello again
I see that you have looked at my answer but not accepted it.
Is there anything in your question that you feel I have not answered? Or anything in my answer that you would like me to clarify?
Please let me know - and I'll do my best!
Otherwise, I would be grateful if you would kindly accept and rate my answer, so that I can be credited for my time.
Thanks and best wishes...