How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

I have been with my common law partner for around 20 years

Customer Question

I have been with my common law partner for around 20 years and are soon parting ways unfortunately.
We have separate bank account's, share the cost of utility bills, groceries and have a joint private accommodation agreement.
As the male has bought most of the material items (circumstancial) for the accomodation he feels it is only right that the female move out....with nothing and nowhere to go to restart her life.
The female contributes to the household in many ways.
Any advice would be truly appreciated in terms of whether entitlement for severance of common law partnerships is an option to be explored further? If so, any further leads would also be appreciated!
Many thanks in anticipation.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who actually owns the accommodation in which you live?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Neither of us, private accomodation, we both pay an equal share of rent

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Is it furnished or unfurnished?
If Unfurnished has a division of the contents been agreed?