How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35065
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am Portuguese and am going to travel abroad to Portugal with

This answer was rated:

I am Portuguese and am going to travel abroad to Portugal with my sons aged 11 and 13, their mother is joining us two days later. We are not married, both of them have my surname on their travel documents. Do I need an authorization from their mum to take my boys on holidays?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
For clarity - you are both in agreement with the trip ( I do have to check)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, we are. As I said she is joining us two days after, I am going with the kids to Portugal earlier and then she is coming back with them to the UK. I am now wondering if either of us will need a written authorization to travel with the kids.
There should be no problem at all.
However I am aware that some parent shave met problems (although I do not know the real facts) and a simple letter signed by you both will ensure that in the highly unlikely event of a challenge you have a letter to prove the position
However I must emphasise this is a failsafe not a necessity
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi there, sorry for this delay,. Does the letter need to be accompanied with photocopies of our IDs and does it need to be a certified letter from a solicitor?
No to both - a simple letter will be fine since you are travelling to a country from which recovering the children would be simple anyway!
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you