How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I am in a procedure to ask for a variation of maintenance paymentThe

This answer was rated:

I am in a procedure to ask for a variation of maintenance payment
The lawyers of my ex wife demand that i also give them copies of the bank statements of my girlfriend. Is there any legal basis for this?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Are you currently co-habiting?
Have you claimed all of your household expense or only half of them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We are no co-habiting

I have claimed only my household expenses.

The reason in the letter is that I made transfers to her account. These were reimbursements for my travel expenses which had been charged to her credit card.

I guess my Q is whether the court can compel somebody who is not party to the case to hand over statements?

So they are asking for evidence that your girlfriend actually made these payments on your behalf.
Your girlfriend cannot be forced to produce the statements - but if you do not provide them then the court will assume that in fact that these were not reimbursements.
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you