How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my six year old granddaughter lives with me under special guardianship.

Customer Question

my six year old granddaughter lives with me under special guardianship. her father wants her to stay overnight with him. i said didn't think was in the childs best interest.he does not agree.the father fills little ones head with bad things that upset her.says i am old and going to die and leave her.she sees things on screen that worry her zombies etc.bood scary stuff.she tells me and i take notes.he says he misses her lots and has spent money on bedroom for her and although has regular contact needs his daughter.i think its what the child needs .can he fight my decision i am caring for childs welfare..
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact does he currently have?
What contact did Social Services suggest?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

social services suggested weekly. the timing is down to me.He wants sunday. so we agreed 10am till 3.30pm.does not always bother to turn up.sometimes sends a text after the event to say why not been.when he does take her he is always late back. no resin seems to be just because he can! little girl likes to go we do have problems at school with behaviour especially mondays tuesdays sometimes wednessday too.she says daddy says don't have to do stuff if don't want to! has had emotion therapy at school.has no contact with mum social sevices stopped is not a child. is 40yrs old.two other has been adopted the other he is not alowed contact. i understand he maybe feels will lose this child too.but the idea is to keep her safe secure,happy with her welfare needs met. unfortunately dad accuses me of stealing his daughter. lots of resentment.i am not convinced staying over night is in childs best i within my rights to say no.not until she is more mature.can i do that? can he come back at me?he is very aggressive worries me. not seen any aggression towards the child. just very angry man

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
From all that you say there is no basis on which the father would be granted overnight contact at this stage if he applies to the court.
I would suggest that you offer to discuss in Family mediation
what needs t happen before overnight contact begins
Please ask if you need further details