How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34902
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Clare, how much is my husband allowed to spend on other people

This answer was rated:

Clare, how much is my husband allowed to spend on other people before it comes under the money laundering or gift act of the UK?
Is it my right to apply for an interim payment, prior to a divorce and what chances are they of getting it?
Thank you for your question.
What would the payment be for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has bought his father from the UK a car that he is paying £500 per month. no doubt he will get away with that one.

I have only just received his bank account statements and one transfer is for £29k. I was under the impression that you can only give someone a gift of £3k per annum. anymore than that, you have to pay tax! and declare with the authorities. When I go through his bank statements more thoroughly, if you don't mind, I will get back to you.

The court originally ordered me not to go to the family home or the surrounding area, where as I said before to you,half the house was mine unencumbered. He was granted permission to reside at that house with our children. He has just recently rented a million pound house outside of town. Where do I stand concerning my original home, area and the Non-Molestation order in force? ( should I have put an a in that last word?!!!) Once again Clare thank you for your advice.

The £300- a year refers to Inheritance Tax.
As to how much he can give away the answer is as much as he likes BUT he cannot then say that you should have less than your entitlement as it was prior to the gifts!
Given his move this is a perfect time to challenge the Order so that you can move back home and start having the children more often
Are there any mainland solicitors who do business on the Island?
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you