How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12092
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor. Partner in own firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

are parents - as a matter of law (not morals) - actually obliged

This answer was rated:

are parents - as a matter of law (not morals) - actually obliged to pay the university studies of children older than 18?
Thank you for your question.
Yes they are and if a parent refuses to do so the court has the power to extend child maintenance to the end of the child’s university degree or vocational training course.
The court will consider each case individually and place particular focus on the child’s financial needs, the parents’ ability to pay and the manner in which the child is expected to be educated or trained. Irrespective of the availability of student loans, if a child has a genuine need for financial assistance and the parent has the means to pay, the court may order an extension to child maintenance.
In some cases, children can apply to the court themselves for an order that a parent pays them directly for the costs of putting themselves through university or other course.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you