How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

i am in a court case with my ex-wife to obtain an adjustment

This answer was rated:

i am in a court case with my ex-wife to obtain an adjustment to maintenance payments
My income situation changed substantially in october which is when I filed the forms and started the case.
The first hearing is only on jan 12.
Can the court adjust my payments retro-actively? If not, what can I do to expedite matters?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Why did your income situation change?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

clare - you have answered a lot of qs on this subject for me already. pls look at your history. You have the background


Indeed I have and you have never confirmed WHY your income dropped so suddenly - and the court will wish to know.
however I can confirm that the court can backdate the variation to the date that the Order was made if they consider it appropriate to do so.
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you