How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My daughter is 12 and has lived with me since her father and

Customer Question

My daughter is 12 and has lived with me since her father and I split up 6 years ago. She has been seeing her dad regularly but has been making more and more excuses not to go. She is scared of him, not physically but he is not a nice man. She has made the decision this week she doesn't want any further contact with him. Is there anything he can do? Is it best if I get sole custody?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Which part of the Uk are you in and is your daughter willing to tell her father herself that she does not wish to see him?
What exactly has led to this decision
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


We are in Newcastle upon Tyne. I don't think she would face him she is terrified. We have agreed to a meeting at lunch time today (myself, my elder daughter from another relationship, and my new partner. Along with Mark and his wifes father) it was supposed to e an informal chat but he seems to be going along the route of documenting everything. We have already said if Zara wants to change her mind at any stage and wants to contact him or see him again then it's her decision. She doesn't even want to send a christmas card. he is very controlling, and she is scared of him, he is always having a go at Zara's step brother and has even said its like bullying. She has been making more and more excuses not to go even to the stage she is feeling physically ill the days she is supposed to see him

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The other option that is available to you is to arrange to discuss the matter with your ex using family mediation
and a mediator trained to work with young people so that your daughters wishes can be brought to the discussion without her having to speak to her father directly.
This will be useful if your ex does then try to make an application to the court for a Child Arrangement Order stating that she should spend time with him.
There is no longer any concept of Custody - and the child already resides with you so there is no other order necessary.
Please ask if you need further details