How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

this must be a common one but I can't find the answer. My daughter

Customer Question

this must be a common one but I can't find the answer. My daughter and son in law have at three year old daughter. The father has left the matrimonial home three months ago to be with another woman. He has rented a flat where he would like his daughter to stay. His wife (my daughter) was amenable to this but now he wants to introduce the other woman and she is going to move in to the flat. My daughter has been subject to abusive texts of this woman and is not comfortable with the child being with her, we also feel that this new partner is unstable. The husband says he is entitled to introduce the child to whoever he pleases when she is with him. Is this correct?We believed that by leaving the matrimonial home that he gave up his rights and that his wife was able to control access and decisions regarding the child. Your advice would be appreciated Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
I am afraid that the fact that he left the family home has no effect on the father's Parental Responsibility for his child
He still retains all the same rights to be consulted on all major issue sin the child's life - and he and your daughter have to agree how the child will share her time between them using Family mediation
if necessary.
Since his relationship has lasted at least three months it is not wholly unreasonable that his child should meet her BUT it is certainly too early for them both to be there overnight - or for every Contact to involve this woman.
Your daughter can read more on this website
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I notice the time is EST are you quoting UK law?
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Yes - the site is American but I am a solicitor in the East Midlands