How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

about 50 years my mom lived in a council house and about 40

Customer Question

about 50 years my mom lived in a council house and about 40 years ago my mom and her partner bought the house, with mom being entitled to the full council discount on the house. Moms name was on the mortgage and deeds but over time her partner (they never married) took her name off the mortgage and the deeds, the partner paid the mortgage but they were together for approx 46 years living together as man and wife, with mom contributing to the running of the house and contributed to other household expenses, and they had a child together. My mom passed away 18 months ago and moms partner has now rented the home out. Mom had 2 children from her first marriage and her 3rd child was with her partner. As mom left no will then the 3 children were her next of kin, do the children have any legal right to the family home that mom lived in ???
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the property worth and when was the house transferred into the partners name and why?