How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35071
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

A female friend is the main bread winner of a household including

This answer was rated:

A female friend is the main bread winner of a household including two children. The father is closer to the children but the marriage is broken and the wife wants to move out, without the children, has offered to take nothing and continue to provide but the father has stated that he will refuse access to the children.
She is now trapped and thinks this is how it has to be....does she have any recourse given the father is closer to the children and if asked they will probably elect to stay with him ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The children are 3 and 11 years old, both boys

Who has actually dealt with the day to day care of the children until now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The fathers parents look after the 3 year old and the 11 year old is at school.

The mother has no family and works long hours at high level, the father has a rather menial job and is more flexible and has family to help.

Thank you for your help, I can see it's not just a canned answer :)

The law says that children are entitled to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
Parents are generally expected to agree how the children should share their time between them using Family mediation if necessary
If no agreement can be reached then an application can be made for a Child Arrangement Order - and the court will ensure that the children do indeed spend time with their mother
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you