How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35052
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Want to separate from second husband. House in my name,but

This answer was rated:

Want to separate from second husband. House in my name,but he's been paying half mortgage and bills for 7 years. What can he claim from me?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets are there and what income do you each have
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Property is worth £230,000.

About £75,000 outstanding.

No other assets really. Car is mine.

I earn £32,000 a year and he earns 25,000.

I have 2 children, (1 aged 20 and 1 aged 18), from my first marriage.

What capital did your husband bring to the marriage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he did not bring any capital into the marriage.

He lived in a bedsit, so did not have anything

How long have you lived together in total?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

8 years

An 8 year relationship does give him a financial claim on the Matrimonial Home I am afraid
It is not for 50% of the equity - or even close.
However a settlement of somewhere between 10% and 20% of the equity is likely.
This is something you should try and negotiate with your ex using Family mediation
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you