How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35045
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

my son who is 19 years old and lives with his mother is at

This answer was rated:

my son who is 19 years old and lives with his mother is at college studying to be an electrician. his mother works part time and receives some state benefits as she also has a 12 year old daughter from her last marriage. my son is classed as being in full time education although he only does 2 days at college and a little studying at home. do I still have to pay maintenance for him ?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
If he is still in full time education (more than 12 hours a week) and the mother still receives Child Benefit for him then I am afraid that yes you are still liable for Child Maintenance - until his 20th birthday or he leaves college whichever comes first
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you