How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34900
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

For the past 3 1/2 years I have had full custody of my son

This answer was rated:

For the past 3 1/2 years I have had full custody of my son through the courts my son is just coming up to 7 years old his mother and I are still married,on 26th December she called me and said she wants a divorce.I am in a relationship now and my concern is can she apply to the court for full custody of my son or will it be just a divorce settlement,she left me and my son for another man and has quite a few boyfriends since,I am really concerned about this should I grant her a divorce?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What contact does the child have with his mother - and has she said anything that makes you think she wants the child to live with her
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has had very limited contact there was a court order set in place but she has never stuck to the order ,I am sorry to say that she can be very difficult especially now that I am in a very good relationship,the woman I am with now has stood by me all through the courts and we were very good friends many years before I actually went out with my wife.and my new girlfriend happens to be my wife's half sister.So I do believe that this could be the reason I have the fear that she will try to get my son back .
There is no link between divorce proceedings and the arrangements that are made for children - the court merely wishes to know what those arrangements are.
If there is a dispute then separate Children Act proceedings need to be issued.
From what you have said the eis no reason for you to be concerned - the court looks at the best interests of the child and since his mother has not had regular contact there is no question of there being even a shared care order
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you