How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35043
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My sister was made Power of Attorney for our mother in or around

This answer was rated:

My sister was made Power of Attorney for our mother in or around 2005 shortly after my father died. As I visit UK quite often I am wondering if I have any right to know the status of my mothers finances. As far as I can remember we were both supposed to be Power of Attorney and she actually alluded to the fact that I am one, when speaking to a Council Social Worker a couple of weeks ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Do you actively remember signing the documentation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, as I live in Australia I get left out of the picture. I have no idea what my mothers financial standing is. I am a little worried as my sister was talking about a equity purchase plan. Mum is 91 and has Alzheimers and lives alone with carers coming in to assist her. I would like to prevent my sister from doing anything that she will regret. You can't trust people these days. My sister also admitted to me that she is not good with figures and the like........

If you did not sign anything then you do not hold Power of Attorney.
Whilst there is no automatic legal right for you to view the figures there is no reason why you should not offer to go through them with your sister to help her make decisions
In addition your sister should have Registered the Power with the Court of Protection and shoudl be completing an annual return to them
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you