How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

This should be under FAMILY LAW

Customer Question

I have been separated with my husband since 2009 and have been pushing for divorce for years. Due to my financial situation I could not file the divorce myself and have been waiting for him to do so. he took over our business is 2009 and our company bank account, all he gave me we a room to stay in and an allowance of £500 and this "allowance" stopped in February 2013.
He has been pretty much in control of everything and despite being a director of our company, I have to work as an agent on commission if I want to earn. He used to threaten me that he will close our business if I dip into our company bank account so I try to stay out of it.
I recently fallen pregnant where the father of the baby decided not to do anything with me and the baby but he says I can go through child maintenance system to claim from him. Since it will be 2 months away, I asked my husband if I can use the two rooms to rent out to get income.
He didn't seem to have a problem with it but then 2 days after I left for my home country to prepare the baby (I do not have family members in theUK), the lady who's moving into my room and the lady moving out on the 16th received messages from my husband that all rent must be paid through him and he will only remit 10% to me (£119) as an agent. We are managing a small lettings agency where the flats are dlatshared with the consent of the landlords, and the flat where I'm staying is only signed under his name which he uses as an excuse that I have no right to get tenants etc.
He also placed a lock in my room to make sure that no one moves in without going through him.
He is also now controlling the remittances to my son to make sure I don't receive anything.
i need advice as quickly as possible please. My next rent should be due next month and two tenants are to move in next week, I have to make sure those two rooms rent wil be paid to my account otherwise I won't be able to survive.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long were you living with your ex and how old are your children
How much is the property worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What other assets and debts are there