How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 35051
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi,My husband and I have been together 9 years and have a

This answer was rated:

My husband and I have been together 9 years and have a 3 year old son. We got married 2 years ago. We live in a rented housing association property which both of our names are ***** ***** my husband lived here before we got together. I have been a stay at home mum for 4 years so have no finances available to move out pay for bonds, furniture etc. We live in a nice area, which we decided to stay in to give our son the best upbringing (good school etc) My son goes to a local school and has lots of friends locally.
We have decided to separate and my husband says he isn't moving out but he wont give me anything to move out even though he had £60,000 saved.
Where do I stand legally please?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Would you prefer to stay where you are?
What income do you each have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Yes I would like to stay here as its close to my sons school and friends.

I'm a full time mum and my husband is self employed, his tax return shows £15k profit.



How has he accrued such large savings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Through work over the last 10 years. He's had well paid full time jobs and a part time business so managed to save. Our expensives are low too.

How much would a cheaper two bedroom property in the same general area cost to buy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The priority for the family court is the housing needs of the child - and since you have been his sole carer until now that also means your housing needs.
Unless you are entitled to social housing then in the event that the matter goes to court it is likely that the court will transfer the tenancy to your sole name - and also give you 50% of the savings.
You should try and discuss matters with your ex using Family mediation
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you