How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have a court hearing next month Febuary 2nd regarding debt

Customer Question

I have a court hearing next month Febuary 2nd regarding debt back payments for child support abroad, i have not made any money from my business and i'm doing little part time work sometimes, i cant afford to pay anyone, what do i do to get a lawyer to help me in court?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Which country has the Order been made in?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was from Finland called KELA which deals with child support, there was a situation that i signed a non english document for payments, but situation got worst that i had to leave Finland and come back to England, this was in 1999, its been 15 years and now they want me to pay back what i don't have.

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
The Uk court cannot change your actual liability for the debt - only the Finnish Courts can do that.
However the Uk court can set the payment at a rate they believe that you can afford based on your income and expenditure
Sadly legal Aid is no longer available for this but you may find assistance from the Pro Bono unit here
Please ask if you need further details