How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

Hello, I left my partner nearly a year ago after 20 years,

Customer Question

Hello, I left my partner nearly a year ago after 20 years, We were not married,we have a house in joint names,my ex partner lives in our property, we have twin boys age nearly 18 years old which also live in the property,they both work full time,as does my ex partner and as I do,I have worked contributing towards the household all of these years as my ex has,When I left I contributed towards the mortgage for the first couple of months (£400) I sort advice from the citizens advice center to see where I stood legally towards our property but he said I would have to see a solicitor,he did say I didn't have to pay anything as I was not living there anymore and had to pay for my own acommadation. In the first 3 months of leaving I spoke to my ex partner about the house and he said he would look into how he could buy me out,He hasn't sorted anything.We are quite amicable at the moment, I haven't done anything as yet regarding the property because of my children living there and not wanting to hurt my ex anymore as it was my decision to terminate the relationship.Originally I was staying in the house with my children and my ex left ,but he came back hopeing things would be back to normal,so I had no choice but to leave my home. My children are aware of the situation and are happy for me to sort things as they both want to move out,I would like to sort this then I could hopefully help them financially towards their new accommodation.I only want my share of the house I said he could have all contents and our caravan,I left with only my clothes.Please could you advice me on what I should do and what I am legally entitled to as I do not know where to start and seem to be just burying my head in the sand,Thankyou Lisa Noble
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi ,Our house is worth £149,000, and there is about £18,000 left on the mortgage,

Thanks Lisa