How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Family Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34886
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 and have specialised in Family Law for the last 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have made a statutory request to Hampshire County Council

Customer Question

I have made a statutory request to Hampshire County Council for my son to be considered for an E, H & C Plan. He has been diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD and dyspraxia. He has real trouble at school becoming overwhelmed because of the environment (extreme sensory overload from physical and emotional triggers). He has poor social skills and can come across as rude because he can't wait or listen to adults. I believe he has hyper-arousal; so like shell shock, or PTSD. The County have asked me to write "Our Story" - this is my input into the process. I am wondering what I need to write in this about their duties. I know that he is not fulfilling his potential because of his environment and because he doesn't have one-to-one support all the time, but I want to cite where the County is not fulfilling its statutory duties. Can you help?!
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
have you given a clear outline of what assistance is needed and how it will help your child?
What more do you feel you would need to include?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

I feel that I've done lots of research on Asperger's and emotional intelligence and can identify what Sonny's issues are. However, what I would like to clarify is what the County and school's responsibilities are under CAFA so that, where applicable, I can highlight that these are not being addressed. I felt that if you knew his disabilities somewhat, you could then identify areas of CAFA where the responsibilities may be relevant.

I look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes. Andrea

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
I think that you may well find that that approach backfires.
You need to address the issues that your son has and the best way that these can be addressed - the help that he actually needs
You need to be specific on how the assistance that you are looking for will achieve an improvement in his educational experience.
You do NOT need to spell out the responsibilities of the LEA - that is saved for any appeal - you are spelling out the needs
I assume that you have already seen this link - but an including it in case you have not.
Please ask if you need further details