How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask James Mather Your Own Question
James Mather
James Mather,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1390
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
James Mather is online now

there,I have had an informal shared custody arrangement

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have had an informal shared custody arrangement with my son aged 10 years.
My ex's new partner is pregnant and he wants to move to Maidenhead and put him in private school there.
He has gone to school in London all his life and my mother has picked him up and done the after school arrangements.
I do not want my child travelling 60 mile round trip to London for school and wrote a solicitor letter and he is now saying she wants parental care and o see him just every second weekend. And school holiday
Details my solicitor sent to me Dear *****,
I have just had this through by email from Matthew’s solicitor. You will see that in the long term, he is proposing that Louis should reside with him, his partner and Louis’ half sibling in Maidenhead and attend a fee paying school which he has identified. He believes that this would be in Louis best interests and offers alternate weekend contact for you and for extended periods during the school holidays.
Obviously I appreciate that this is not something that you are going to be prepared to agree to and in those circumstances, I I anticipate that it will be necessary for either yourself or Matthew to issue an application through the court to determine the issue of residence . It would appear that Matthew is now wishing to move away form the shared care arrangements that are currently in place and to have a residence order in his favour with provisions for you to have contact.
I am sorry to send this to you late in the day on a Friday but I know that you had been anxiously awaiting a response.
I have now got to leave the office but we can talk on Monday morning,
What my solicitor wrote
Please advise where I stand
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** *****
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How is the care of the child currently shared between you?